Last Updated on January 10, 2021 by smartkitchenpicks
How to make Salted Caramel Cookies Cream Waffle Sundaes?
These waffle sundaes are the perfect dessert! They aren’t too tricky to make and are such a fun treat to enjoy. I’m talking a warm chocolate fudge cakey waffle bottom with plenty of melty cookies and cream ice cream all topped with salted caramel sauce. Mmm! There is a great hole-in-the-wall restaurant about twenty minutes from where the husband and I live that is our favorite. We discovered it after several friends recommended it and we got a flyer in the mail.
We were a little unsure if we would like it, but after the first visit, it quickly became our favorite. They serve American food and it’s some of the best food I’ve ever had! Pizza, burgers, wraps, salads – they’ve got it all.
I’m amazed at how many different meals they serve! The tricky part is not eating too much for the main course so there is room for dessert. Their desserts are absolutely legendary and my favorite part of the whole experience. My favorite dessert they serve is a chocolate hot fudge waffle sundae. That is where I got the inspiration for this recipe. Their sundae is chocolate with chocolate ice cream and brownie bits. It’s a complete chocolate overload. The husband isn’t a huge chocolate fan, so if I get it, I’ve got to eat it all by myself.
So when I decided to try and re-create a waffle sundae, I wanted to make one I knew the husband would share with me. And cookies & cream ice cream is his favorite! I scooped tons of cookies and cream ice cream on top of the warm chocolate waffles and it was the perfect combination. The husband loved it! And I have to say, it’s my new favorite way to enjoy a waffle sundae ice cream! It starts with the chocolate waffles which are just chocolate cake mix that has been cooked in your waffle maker. How cool is that for a waffle maker hack?! Just make up the chocolate cake mix as you would if you were making a cake, but instead you spread about one-half of a cup into a pre-heated waffle maker. And then you let it cook! Don’t let it cool too much before topping it with ice cream – you want the waffle to be warm so the ice cream gets a bit melty on top.
To add a little bit of pizzazz, I also added some salted caramel sauce. This caramel sauce is SO easy to make and is only four ingredients. No stress trying to watch the colors of the caramel change – it’s completely fool-proof caramel; just how I like it! The caramel sauce does require constant stirring so it’s helpful to have all the ingredients ready to go. You start by melting the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Once the butter is melted, you can add in the brown sugar. And once the sugar is completely incorporated, you stir in the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract.
The mixture then gets removed from the heat and put into a re-sealable container. The sauce must cool for at least thirty to forty-five minutes. Don’t worry if it isn’t super thick at first, it thickens as it cools. I like to sometimes double or even triple this caramel recipe. It’s easy to make and goes well with so many different things. You can also leave out the salt and just add salt to certain desserts. I added salt to the caramel for this dessert, but it’s completely optional. Drizzle that delicious caramel sauce over the cookies and cream ice cream and you are ready to go! Oh, and don’t forget the cherry on top! Grab your fork…
Salted Caramel Cookies & Cream Waffle Sundaes
- 1 chocolate cake mix + ingredients called for
- 1 container (48 ounces) cookies and cream ice cream
- 4 tablespoons butter /peanut butter
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream (not whipped)
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: maraschino cherries / Chocolate chips
- Combine the chocolate cake mix, eggs, water, and vegetable oil in a large bowl. Beat to combine following package instructions. Preheat your waffle maker to manufacturer’s instructions. I preheated mine to high.
- Pour a heaping (depending on your waffle maker size you may need to adjust this number) ½ cup of the cake mix into the waffle maker. Close and allow to cake mix to cook for about 5 minutes or until your waffle maker indicates it is finished. When it’s finished cooking, remove it and place onto a plate.
- Top with scoops of cookies and cream ice cream.
- For the salted caramel: In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Once the butter is completely melted, stir in the brown sugar. Whisk the mixture briskly and constantly for 2 minutes on medium-low heat.
- The mixture will barely start to bubble. Briskly stir in the heavy whipping cream. Add in the vanilla extract. Raise the heat to medium temperature and briskly stir for another two minutes. Remove the mixture from the heat. It will be relatively thick, but not as thick as a caramel sauce. Pour the mixture into a heat-safe jar and place into the fridge. After about thirty to forty-five minutes, the mixture will be a thick and delicious caramel sauce. Now it’s time to stir in a little bit of salt to your desired preference. Start with ¼ teaspoon and increase the amount of salt to desired preference.
- Pour the salted caramel over the ice cream and top with a cherry if desired.
You are not failing your Diet, your Diet is failing you – keep reading to find out why 99% of mainstream cookbooks set you up for failure. So if you’re ready for a cookbook that will totally change the way you think about fat loss, plus bring a new joy of cooking into your life, it’s time that you picked up your copy of Family Friendly Fat Burning Meals.
The FFF Burning Meals Book Includes:
- – 110+ Fat Burning Recipes
- – A bonus you will recieve 8 weeks of dinner menus & grocery lists
- – A bonus 27 fat burning dessert cookbook
- – A bonus fast start guide
- – A bonus guide detailing what foods not to let your kids eat
Get Lean & Stay Lean with the simple Family Friendly Fat Burning Meals Cookbook!
(Instant Download HERE)