Last Updated on December 27, 2020 by smartkitchenpicks
- 4 red Romano peppers (the long red peppers – or you can use red bell peppers instead)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp coriander
- 4 cardomon pods
- 200g/1 cup easy cook rice
- 1 tsp veg bouillon (or stock cube)
- Boiling water – to cook the rice
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped finely
- 5 cherry/small tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- 150g crumbled feta
- Juice of half a lemon
- 75g/three-quarters-of-a-cup strong cheddar cheese
- 8tbsp panko breadcrumbs mixed with a pinch of salt and pepper
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350F. Cut the peppers in half-length ways and scoop out the seeds. Place on a baking tray or in a large baking dish, cut side up. Put to one side.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan and add the onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes in a medium heat until the onions starts to soften. Add in the garlic, paprika, turmeric, coriander and cardamom pods. Give it a stir and allow to cook for a minute.
- Add in the rice and bouillon (or a crumbled stock cube). Stir until the bouillon is incorporated and then pour boiling water from the kettle over until the rice is just covered. Stir once more and then leave to simmer gently for 15-18 minutes until the rice is tender. You may need to add a little more water if the pan starts to boil dry (but you shouldn’t need to drain off any water at the end).
- Once the rice is cooked, remove the cardamom pods and discard. Stir in the green pepper, cherry tomatoes, feta and lemon juice. Spoon the mixture into the red pepper halves (you may half a little leftover), then top with the cheese and breadcrumbs. Drizzle the oil over the top of the breadcrumbs and place in the oven for 15-18 minutes until the breadcrumbs have browned and the red peppers have softened.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley.
Recipe by Savory Style at http://www.savorystyle.com/greek-ish-stuffed-peppers/