Last Updated on February 12, 2021 by smartkitchenpicks
Orange Roll Bake – Savory Style recipe make Christmas time in full swing are you trying to find the perfect breakfast for Christmas morning? Growing up (and even still) Christmas breakfast is a big deal for our family!
My mom always went all-out for a huge and fun Christmas breakfast. Usually we had some form of cinnamon rolls or sweet rolls with lots of sides. The family rule was we had to completely eat delicious breakfast as a family before opening presents.
As a little girl that was a bit hard, but as I got older I almost looked forward to the breakfast more than the presents!
Naturally as a food blogger I’ve already started quite the experimenting for the best possible Christmas breakfast. This orange rolls bake is definitely making it on our sweet breakfast menu this year – it’s simple to make, super flavorful, and was a family favorite!
Instead of having to make dough hook that sometimes requires hours before it’s completely ready to use (and who wants to be up at 4 am on Christmas morning?!) I decided to make these Orange Roll Bake out of cookies.
It may sound a little odd, but it’s absolutely delicious and tastes just like homemade dough in this roll! Basically all you have to do to prep the “dough” is open the containers and cut each biscuit into four even pieces.
This can easily be done with a knife or kitchen scissors. As soon as they are all cut up they go straight into the well-greased breakfast casseroles dish.
I use a 9×13 inch pan for this roll so if you are going to use a smaller dish (like an 8 x 8 casserole recipe dish) you will need to scale the recipe down. Alternatively if you think you’ll want more than the recipe makes, it can easily be doubled.
As soon as the cookies are all ready to go, they get covered in an easy orange glaze. If you want to do a little prep the night before, all of the cookies can be cut and place in the casserole dish then covered. You don’t want the glaze to sit on the uncooked cookies overnight or it will get quite soggy.
Then in the dish goes to be baked. A short time later you can pull this delicious and wonderful smelling breakfast Orange Roll Bake out of the oven.
But it’s not done yet, it still needs a delicious orange cheese frosting to coat everything making it extra nice and gooey! The orange cheese glaze is just four ingredients – cream cheese, oranges for juice, powdered sugar, and some vanilla.
Plus some optional orange zest if you want to make it extra orange flavored and pretty. If you want even more of an orange flavor, the vanilla extract could be substituted for orange extract. If you do choose to use orange extract you may want to reduce the amount depending on personal preference.
The frosting ingredients get combined and then beaten together. Afterwards the frosting is poured over the warm orange rolls bake. It melts in nicely and smells absolutely divine!
Orange Roll Bake is a breakfast rolls that can be done in about 25 30 minutes which is great for the busyness of Christmas morning. While it’s baking you could whip up a few sides such as eggs, hash browns, or some fresh fruit. Those are the sides I’m serving with this orange rolls bake for Christmas.
The one note with this Orange Roll Bake is the leftovers are only good for a day after. Beyond a day of leftovers this bake doesn’t taste as great and gets a little bit soggy.
I would recommend making what you are pretty certain will get eaten because this dish is truly best right out of the oven and fresh. Enjoy!
Orange Roll Bake
- 3 containers refrigerated buttermilk cookies (Not Grands)
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup juice
- 2-3 teaspoons zest, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. temperature. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Remove the cookies from the container and cut each one into 4 pieces. Place all the pieces in the prepared breakfast casseroles dish.
- Combine the white sugar, ⅓ cup orange juice, 1 tablespoon of orange rind, and ½ cup butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until all the ingredients are well combined. Pour over the prepared cookies.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on the tops and edges.
- Meanwhile, combine the powdered sugar, ¼ cup butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and ¼ cup juice in another bowl. Beat until well combined and smooth.
- Pour over the baked Orange Roll Bake and optionally garnish with the 2-3 teaspoons of orange peel.
You are not failing your Diet, your Diet is failing you – keep reading to find out why 99% of mainstream cookbooks set you up for failure. So if you’re ready for a cookbook that will totally change the way you think about fat loss, plus bring a new joy of cooking into your life, it’s time that you picked up your copy of Family Friendly Fat Burning Meals.
The FFF Burning Meals Book Includes:
- – 110+ Fat Burning Recipes
- – A bonus you will recieve 8 weeks of dinner menus & grocery lists
- – A bonus 27 fat burning dessert cookbook
- – A bonus fast start guide
- – A bonus guide detailing what foods not to let your kids eat
Get Lean & Stay Lean with the simple Family Friendly Fat Burning Meals Cookbook!
(Instant Download HERE)