Well, it’s officially the holiday season. Christmas decorations are up, the malls are crowded, and countless holiday movies are being broadcast on television. And even though the weather is even starting to feel like winter, I love this time of year. I’ve gotten a head start on shopping and have even started wrapping some gifts. And by me, I mean my husband, as my idea of wrapping presents is plopping things into a gift bag!
Along with the hustle and bustle of the gift-giving season comes some delicious holiday treats. As much as I love shopping for my family and friends, I love baking even more! The holidays give me the perfect excuse to whip up some indulgent goodies for parties, get-togethers, and everything in between. It also means that I can indulge in a few extra cookies or another slice of cake because it’s just that time of year, right?
And while I have a few tried and true favorites that I make every year, I love putting a creative spin on some of my favorite recipes. Since I adore anything with peppermint, I gladly sneak that in whenever I can. And brownies? Those are my absolute weakness! I can never resist a delicious square of an indulgent and decadent treat. And these Peppermint Crunch Brownies definitely hit the spot. A rich and dense brownie, topped with a peppermint candy frosting is the perfect treat to satisfy your sweet tooth!
If you’re a peppermint lover, then these Peppermint Crunch Brownies were made for you! And the best part? They’re made in one pot, and one pot only. That means there’s less to clean up and fewer dishes to wash. Pretty clever, huh?
Let’s first talk about the brownie. Rich, full of chocolate, and moist. That’s my definitely of the perfect brownie. These aren’t the cakey kind, but are dense and crammed full of flavor. Using unsweetened cocoa powder creates a flavorful batter that’s irresistibly delicious.
To make the batter, first melt some butter and then whisk in some salt, brown and white sugars until creamy. This creates a decadent base. Next, you’ll add the wet ingredients into the dry. Whisk in the eggs, Greek yogurt (which makes these brownies extra moist), and vanilla. Once everything is combined, add in a generous amount of unsweetened cocoa powder and some flour. You’ll want to bake these brownies at 350F for about 25-30 minutes. It’s important not to overbake these, as you don’t want to end up with dry and crumbly brownies.
Now onto the frosting! The peppermint crunch topping is made from Andes Peppermint Crunch mints. It’s a quick and easy “frosting” that’s a breeze to prepare and so full of peppermint flavor! If you’re a peppermint fanatic, then you’ll love these mints.
Immediately after the brownies are done baking, place about 12-15 Andes mints across the top layer. Allow the mints to set for several minutes to melt slightly. Take a knife or spatula and slowly spread the mints around, creating a frosting. As the brownies cool, the topping will harden back into a candy shell.
One bite of these Peppermint Crunch Brownies and you’ll be hooked! The thick and fudgy brownie layer is so moist and full of flavor. It’s a perfect compliment to the smooth, peppermint topping. And because this is a one pot dessert, it saves you time in the kitchen. From start to finish, you can have these brownies prepared and ready to devour in less than 45 minutes. It’s a true dessert that will wow your taste buds!
Peppermint Crunch Brownies
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 12-15 Andes Peppermint Crunch mints, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8×8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Once butter is completely melted, remove from heat and whisk in brown sugar, white sugar, and salt until smooth.
- Add in eggs, yogurt, and vanilla, whisking well until combined.
- Add in cocoa powder and flour, stirring until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until middle is set and toothpick inserted into center comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove brownies from oven and immediately place mints on top layer of brownies.
- Let sit for several minutes to melt the mints. Using a knife or spatula, swirl the mints to create a frosting, spreading it out in an even layer across brownies.
- Let cool completely in pan until frosting has hardened.
- Cut into bars and serve.